We conducted an exercise asking AI (artificial intelligence) important questions about Isle of Man education, taxation, and government policy. Using GPT-3 models, trained on millions of public data sources – the answers are insightful, informative and often hilarious.
I don’t want to explain AI in any detail (as there are plenty of existing explanations), so I have included links below that provide a brief outline and insight into the technology we used.
Using several different APIs, AI libraries and models, we asked AI engines several different questions relating to the Isle of Man. The answers to each question are included verbatim (we did not modify the answers). We did use words like ‘crazy’ and ‘radical’ to prompt innovative ideas.
- With £100m, what would you spend the money on to improve the quality of life in the Isle of Man?
- With unlimited budget, what ten things would you do to make the Isle of Man the best place to live and work in the world?
- Suggest ten crazy ideas how we can attract people to move to the Isle of Man?
- How do we improve bus services to encourage more people to use public transport?
- Suggest five radical ways the Isle of Man Government can attract more healthcare professionals
- How can we create the very best Primary school environment in the Isle of Man? Ten radical ideas.
- How can we create the very best Secondary school environment in the Isle of Man? Ten radical ideas.
- Suggest ten crazy ideas to improve the Isle of Man.
- Ten ways the Isle of Man Government can develop a cannabis industry in the Isle of Man.
- How can the Isle of Man Government make housing more affordable for residents? Provide five radical or exciting ideas
- What do you perceive are the ten main challenges facing the Isle of Man?
- Ten crazy policies would you run with if you wanted to be an elected politician in the Isle of Man?
- Ten crazy tax policies you would adopt if you wanted to be an elected politician in the Isle of Man?
- What ten crazy laws would you introduce on the Isle of Man to improve quality of life and prosperity?
- Ten crazy ideas to enhance the Isle of Man.
- Eight crazy ways to enhance the Isle of Man TT races?
- Outline crazy ideas to reduce potholes in the Isle of Man.
- Would you move to the Isle of Man?
- What crazy things would be required to make you move to the Isle of Man?
- If you had to move to the Isle of Man, what would you want in return. Five things.
We believe technology such as automation, AI (artificial intelligence), machine learning and IoT could greatly enhance the quality of life, public services, governance and the economy of the Isle of Man.
A key part of our business at MTG is understanding, developing and implementing this type of technology into organisations, but with three core aims:
- Increase profits.
- Reduce costs.
- Improve outcomes.
While this article is a glance at the capabilities of AI, it demonstrates:
- Mainstream ideas and initiatives can be rapidly formulated based on millions of public data sources.
- The fact AI can offer ‘commonsense’ solutions to common problems highlights many ideas are commoditised – and we need to look further into our thinking.
- To get the AI engine to suggest innovative or abstract concepts, we had to use words like radical, insane and crazy. We also increased the randomness of the models.
You can find all the questions and the answers by viewing the PDF file below (848KB)
Manx Technology Group – AI and the Isle of Man – Download
Over the coming months, we will be continuing our work with these AI platforms to explore areas such as:
- Is AI capable of responding to public consultations?
- Can AI assist employees and decision-makers in the public and private sectors?
- Should Isle of Man MHKs and civil servants have AI assistants?
- Can AI assist with the formation of economic strategies and initiatives?
- How do we combat biases in the instructions or questions asked of AI?
- How can we use AI to assess resident or employee sentiment?
- Can AI be used to stimulate (or validate) idea generation and innovation in areas such as economic development, education and tourism?
- Can AI be used to help solve some of the major challenges facing the Isle of Man?
If you have any questions or comments – please ask on social media (links in the footer) or e-mail us firstname.lastname@example.org